Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hello everyone, I hope all is well with all of you. Well we are now moved into our new apartment. It's kind of weird having our own place again, and nice as well. It has been 6 months now since we had our own place. It's pretty weird to think about what we did the last few months, very surreal. A big part of the reason for our trip was so we could learn to appreciate the little things in life. For example a home, which it has done/ Our place is not that great but it feels like a beautiful castle. It's like going from a trailer to a mansion, but ours was from a tent/hotel to a 2-bedroom apartment.

I must recommend this type of journey we went on to everyone. It doesn't have to be biking 2300km but it should be something that you have always wanted to do but never thought it was possible. A lot of the time we don't believe doing crazy things are possible because the people around us make us feel like we should do what they are doing, because its safer. We can't blame those closest to us because it's not their fault. If we allow them to convince us, then we are actually to blame. Let's look at me, I left a good job and a nice house to walk then bike half way across Canada, just because I wanted to do something outside of the blah-blah day-to-day. Now I am training in Wing Chun 3 days a week and Jeet Kune Do once a week,and working part-time. Compared to the money I was making before, this doesn't compare, but what I have been able to experience and what I get to do on a daily basis is worth more than money. I'm sure I'm not explaining it very well but I just know that I have never been happier and never felt stronger.

By stronger I do not just mean physical, it is also mentally and spiritually. We are so much more capable to deal with stress and our confidence in ourselves has sky-rocketed. We don't need other's acceptance like we once did. Sure we still appreciate it but now we are happy just knowing that we have the power to do exactly what we want because in our souls we are free. Well, at least as free as we have ever felt. It's like the first day of summer holidays but everyday, all day. You might not realize it but many people are affraid of freedom. I know it sounds weird but you might be one of those people without realizing it. If you want to know if you are or not, just think about leaving your job and your home right now to go do whatever it is that you want to do and then just let the free unhindered life that's coming your way to unfold. Sounds good to me, how does it feel to you?

I guess I'll talk a little bit about our training. It is going quite well, our Sifu says we are picking things up faster then most. This might sound like bragging but things like this have always come easy to me. I didn't do very well in school except for Phys Ed so I know what it is that I am good at. When I was young and in school I felt that I couldn't keep up, not because I was stupid but because I had no interest. My talents were of a physical nature and I didn't have an outlet that people saw as a way to make money or get a job. Well I guess there was hockey and baseball but I didn't have enough interest. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish there was a different way to go through school then the one way that there is. If your not extremely smart or gifted then you just have to go through the school system the way it is given. Think about how much better school could be if you actually got to pick what you wanted to learn, even if you changed your mind 3 times a year. I would have kept learning about dinosaurs and outerspace, gym class would have been twice a day. Just from that which would have been my first choices I would have grown so much quicker and wider. Once a child knows it is their choice, their interest and ability to learn sky-rockets. Then studying and homework would be a plessure instead of a chore. I will stop with one more thing, think of all the people without a good education and then think what they could have been had they been able to make the decision in the beginning. I know for a fact that we all had those kids in our class that goofed off and would rather skip class then show up. Why did they do this? They did this because they were stronger then the rest of us, they didn't want to conform they just wanted the chance to express themselves fully but they couldn't because there wasn't anywhere for them to do that. Now they have shitty jobs and are looked down on by others that decided that I want a good job so I will do what is expected of me. I'm not putting these people down for doing well in school but why not look at the other people in this world that were missed and show them a little bit of love and appreciation. Whoops went a little off topic there.

Just what we have learned in one month amazes me. My skill level is much higher and my understanding of martial arts has done the same. It is so cool to learn how the structures of the Wing Chun movements can be so powerful, deceivingly powerful. You really don't need to be that strong to defeat a stronger opponent. The art of Wing Chun is said to be created by a women. I believe this because it is so practical and because of its yin nature. You don't face force with force, and even the punching works opposite to most arts. You pull back more then anything with one arm creating a great deal of outward force with the other. I am writing a lot of notes so soon I will be able to explain what it is that I am learning much better. It sure is fun though, I sure enjoy the training but of course am looking forward to being really good at the art. Also I am not just learning it to know it, I am learning it so I can someday teach it. I figure if I can teach the arts I love, then I will have the time to train the rest of my life instead of wasting my time working at a job that takes me away from what I love.

I hope this blog has not become boring. I will get better at writing my thoughts down so be patient, and your comments are appreciated too.





Martial Arts
Self Defense
Joe Self Defense
The Self Defense Company

No comments:

Post a Comment